My backyard wasn't fenced when we moved here. It didn't need to be, though. All there was behind there was a big field, just perfect for throwing rocks, catching butterflies, and watching huge flocks of migrating birds resting on their way to their destination. The road to the new high school will cut right through all of that, practically touching my backyard and making it possible for my toddlers to get in the way of teenage drivers. So up goes the fence.
November of 07 was a gorgeous month, just perfect for playing outside. That's when we moved here, me trying my hand at the stay at home mom bit for the first time. I didn't know anyone, was intimidated to meet people, and had no clue what a woman and her toddler should spend their days doing. Not having a reciprocal conversation, that's for sure. So, we went out into the back yard, and there was the salvation of my sanity. Since none of the yards were fenced, we had open communication with the neighbors and their children. Turns out the two houses next to me hold lots of kids, including one boy exactly Josh's age per household. Also, the moms of those children are amazing women who immediately made me feel comfortable and broke the silence of my days with great conversations.
Then, late May of last year, I had a new baby. Not only did the new baby require a lot of sleep, it was hard to plan ahead to get out of the house and do things. Never fear - just go out into the back yard. There I could chat with neighbors while our kids played and run from any of their yards to my own back door to check on my baby. I didn't have to stress about when people would be home or when Noah would be cranky, Josh and I just both had friends right out back. Then in the evenings Josh would go outside and run around with the kids, only stopping for dinner. He'd be exhausted and ready for bed, and usually we'd get a little neighbor-chat in while gathering the children for the night.
Now I'm all fenced in. They just finished yesterday. As they were putting in the posts I would look out my back door and see our yards all partitioned up, and I kinda teared up a couple of times. I'll miss the quick hellos, the kids running back and forth, the ease of socializing with a baby sleeping in the house, the impromptu talks that inspired me, the glimpse of an adult in the midst of a chaotic kid-filled day, the after-school chats with the 7 and 10 year old girls a couple doors down, and oh, goodness I have to stop because I'm crying for real.
I am grateful my kids will be safe from the road and from running away. I am grateful we are blessed with the funds to put it up. I am most of all grateful for the wonderful neighbors who welcomed me here and made it a good thing to have a communal back yard in the first place. I know I will still see everyone, it will just take more planning.
I guess I'll have to buy a bikini and sunbathe a lot. Don't know why else I need a 6-foot privacy fence.
13 comments:
Sad! I'm sorry about the fence. It will be really nice not to worry about your kids getting hit by a car or wandering off too far without you knowing about it, but you really did have a good thing going on with your neighbors. Maybe the front yard will become the new backyard in the summer?
And why in the world is "front yard" an open compound while "backyard" is closed? The questions that burn within me.
My heart is breaking for you!! It will be okay! Just drop off Josh at the neighbors' fenced in back yard!
The day before I had Bracken we moved to Pleasant Grove and I am feeling just like you did last November. I miss my friends and Abby has no one to play with here. It really sucks!! At least we have alot more space. Hopefully it will get better. Good luck with the fence, I am sorry!!
I have to admit, it was pretty ominous looking on Sunday with all those giant fenceposts just looming in the backyard.
And I like how you got nice sunny shots of the backyard before, and then a cloudy shot after the fence went up.
But seriously, could you take out a segment of fence between your yard and the neighbors'? Let the kids run free, while still protected from cars out back?
Or maybe install something like this.
Or teach Josh and Noah to do this.
Adam and I talked about this at our last house, when they fenced us in from the people behind us. We felt so isolated at first (that is our pet peve with i-pods-isolation). We missed visiting. I did find that we talked to our neighbor over the fence a lot, so it ended up being OK and no dog poop in our yard. You can bring Josh to my backyard anytime!
Dave you are the king of solutions. I find your thought process highly innovative and inspiring. I'm sure Emily will put both suggestions to good use.
All very good suggestions, but since you are now blocked in, I guess you can take a lovely stroll over to the Mullins house and play with us. Crappy yard, but a nice soccer field. I haven't seen you, in what seems like forever. We definitely need to hang out very soon. I am planning on doing those frozen meals next Tuesday at my house...so please come and help =)
I really appreciate the suggestions - looks like things Josh is already training to do with the crib and the bounce house.
I guess reading your explanation of the friends that were made would make me a little sad too. But I do have to say that when I got my fence finished in October I couldn't have been more excited. My kids love going outside and playing in the backyard and I can actually get the laundry folded while they do, and I don't have to worry about them making it past my neighbors fence and hopping in the pools. I guess my point is there are some redeeming qualities of a privacy fence. :)
I'm so sorry, it is not fun having to be shut in. I am grateful for my fence though, because I can keep Christian in. That way he's not escaping across the busy road to the church while I'm checking on the baby.
Forget the bikini, now you can sunbathe naked. Your post makes me think of that Robert Frost poem about fences. I'd prefer not to have a fence, but in your case it sounds necessary.
this made me so sad--stop making me cry Em! I sure hope you find fun things to do behind your fence to make up for the isolation. sunbathing is a good start.
Forget the bikini just go a natural...Gary will love it!
Post a Comment