Tuesday, January 6, 2009

You Need To Choose A Theme

You really should. Let me explain. It all started New Year's 2004 when my friend Jason mentioned that someone he knew found yearly themes to be effective, like "____ Free, 2003" or "____ More, 2004." Jason, my sister Sarah, and I all declared the year's theme to be, "Date More 2004." Ever efficient, Sarah even printed out a sign with our theme on it and posted it in our room. Man, did we ever date more in 2004! Not only was there a mad flurry of dating, all 3 of us started dating the person we would marry, although we didn't realize it at the time. (Maybe Sarah's first date with Dave was in 03, but I'd say 04 was the crucial stuff.) Here's how it's gone since then:

2005, Husbands Arrive - My friend Rachel made this one up, and even gave all of the girls in our Relief Society Ring Pops with the theme attached. Worked for me! (And for many others . . . Rachel is a genius. Don't mock the method.)

2006, Pick Up Sticks - I started the year as the teacher of 54 kindergartners and pregnant. I was so busy this was all I could think of on the fly, but promised myself I would think of something better later on. Never did, but I'm proud to say I accomplished my goal. I picked up a few sticks here and there, when necessary.

2007, Closer to Heaven - I felt like I'd been so busy I'd slacked on some important areas of life. Hope I did okay on this one . . .

2008, Having This Baby Would Be Great - I started out the year pregnant . . . it's hard for me to think past that sometimes.

2009 . . . Nothing is firmed up, I need help deciding. I 've thought of, "2009, Stop Living Like Swine" (We're not that bad, but I'd love for my house to be clean and organized!), "2009, My Family Shall Dine" (Be a better meal planner . . . I'm not so terrible, but variety is good. With Friends We Will Dine? Inviting people over would be nice.), "2009, That Body is Mine!" (Workout and eat right . . .) (Variations - "Order is Mine," "New Couches are Mine", etc.) Um, others . . . "Chocolate Divine"? "Cosine or Sine?" "Swim in the Brine"? "Mediocre is Fine"? "Tree is a Pine"? "My Light Will Shine"?

What should I do?

15 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

Go for swim in the brine. Even though it is YOUR theme, some of the others seem so self serving. This one has great potential!!

Catie said...

Emily Gibby-- (sorry for using the maiden name, but you'll always be Gibby to me) you make me so happy, I can't even tell you how big my smile is right now-- how grateful I am to know you!!!! Good luck with your theme!

Anna said...

I thought of another one...2009 Be Right on Time! Not saying you're usually late, but punctuality is always good.

Oh and I added you to the blog list. You were so cool you didn't need traffic directed to your blog, but not having you on my friends list, that was tragic

Deters said...

Emily you are so funny! I love reading your posts cause it always makes me smile to see that you are having fun and are so great with your kids!

DP said...

How about "2009—Straighten Your Spine." Better posture is always a good new year's resolution.

Rachel said...

Emily, you are a marvel in that you really accomplish your goals! I don't think I have fulfilled any of my themes--maybe variety is a good idea?

Your theme for 2009...so many ideas...

"2009: No More Crime"

"2009: Lookin' Fine!"

"2009: Cook with Lime!"

Coordination Queen said...

no clue, but that is a great idea!t

Liz said...

"Swimming in brine" you could go swim in the great Salt Lake. Ok, yuck, I like the excerise one, so we all have to go and get those gym memeberships and then you guys can kick my lazy butt into gear :). I guess that should be my theme instead :).

sarahflib said...

I can attest that the system works! I was a person who dated only sporadically until we came up with our 2004 motto. Then I seriously went on at least one date--often two or three--every single weekend for six months. It was ridiculous. And completely abnormal.

Also, whatever theme you choose for 2009, I recommend going with a true rhyme (ine/ein) rather than one that is only close (ime). I'm pretty sure that themes have more power that way.

Maybe mine should be "2009: Here comes babylein!" Although that isn't really one I need to work on, so perhaps I'll choose something that I can be more proactive about.

Also, if you choose "stop living like swine," you should definitely chant the motto in FHE every week. I like the idea of Josh echoing that theme. Hilarious.

Kim said...

I think we will go with "Stop Living like Swine." I am just coming out of morning sickness and it's time to get organized.

Syphus Circus said...

I like "mediocre is fine." We have a saying in our MBA program: "B's get degrees." Maybe that should only apply to house cleaning and class attendance. I'm not sure if it would get you very far at the judgment bar...

Anonymous said...

I'm goin' with "Becoming benign, 2009"

Michelle said...

I thought it was Cs get degrees. Hmmmm. That's probably what is going to prevent me from ever getting my masters...

I agree with Flib, you do need to have correct ryhme in order for the Universe to smile upon you.

I think the mediocre is fine slogan is really catching and settling nicely with me.

Hannah said...

personally, i altered an earlier idea of yours and went with "the boy is mine" and coupled it with "in rome i'm fine." you could go with "dance in line" and learn to line dance perhaps... "rhythm divine." yeah, that's a good one.

Krista said...

I LOVE this. I am totally picking a theme. 2009 - that husband is mine. This is my year i'm sure of it. haha. yeah i say that every year.