Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Grape Thief, the Superfan, and Other Tales from Indoors

Noah is pretty pumped about his new motor skills (climbing, in particular). We continue to stay mostly in our house to try to get these kids better, so he's had lots of chances to test things out. Josh engineered this experience - taking all of the couch cushions off creating a little jump land. Noah climbed up here himself. Can you tell he's pleased?
Before you say I'm so good and mellow to let them do this, I'll point out a few things. 1. The couch is not exactly new and awesome. 2. I've had plenty of breaking point moments this week with all of the whining and tormenting and general indoor-naughtiness that has occurred due to our shut-in, so this balances it out. 3. What else is a kid supposed to do after so long?
Noah is finding all of the standard kid-joys to be joyous, like climbing on the dishwasher. I realized yesterday that the cuteness of such activities changes dramatically over time. I thought the dishwasher thing was cute. He got ahold of a bar of soap, and as I cleaned him up I exclaimed, "Oh, look at those tiny little finger holes you made in it." At the grocery store he stole a grape from the back of the cart and ate it. "Oh, you funny boy," I said. I mean, these are real kid things to do. He's just exploring and loving his new-found skills. But if Josh did these things . . . reprimands in every case. I'm not planning to change my ways, it's just an observation.
Josh called my mom and told her all about his plans to wear his helmet and his light shoes and go "down and play a BYU football game." So, for lack of helmets available to purchase, my mom got him this hat. I took a picture of him in his hat with my phone, and sent it to my mom. I then took his picture later that night with the real camera. Seems like I started something with that one. The next morning he woke up and said, "Mom, take a picture of me in my hat."
Later on that day he begged me, "Mom, take a picture of me in my hat."

And again the next morning (you can tell it's a different day because the food is in different spots on his face). "Mom, take a picture of me in my hat."


Do you think he likes it?

As for me, I didn't take a picture of myself doing it, but I had to get out, so I borrowed the neighbor's double jogging stroller and went on a little run. It felt great, but I felt like such a mom. I even got a cat-call from someone in a big truck. You know how when you get those you don't know if you're really lookin' good or if some one's mocking you . . .well, this time I didn't wonder. Oh, well, I might try to buy a used one anyway, and embrace what I am wholeheartedly. Why not?

15 comments:

sarahflib said...

The jogging thing really made me laugh. I bet the boys liked the run as well--the weather has been glorious lately (at least down here). Sounds like Mom made a good purchase with the hat!

Krista said...

LOVE the hat pictures. You should take one EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE and then make a book to give him when he graduates from highschool. :)

Coordination Queen said...

You've got way more determination that I do, going jogging. And just so you know, that couch cushion removal and jumping... it will never end, unless you get one where it is physically impossible to remove the cushions. At first it is funny. Then after you have to put them all back 20 times a day... it get's pretty old. But there is no fighting that monster.

Syphus Circus said...

You go EMILY! Your blog always makes me laugh and refreshes my desire to continue trying to be a nice Mom!

Deters said...

You go girl! Going jogging with your kids- sweet. How awesome would that be if you took a picture of Josh in his hat for the next several years and than one make a book out of it.

DP said...

Wait, was the truck driver mocking or telling you "lookin' good"?

Stacey said...

At our house, Scott ad Charlotte pull all of the pillows of the "good" sofa (the one the home teachers get to sit on) and play a super fun game called "pillow mountain". It is one of the few things they can do for a while without fighting. I hope Josh and Noah can come sometime and play pillow mountain with Scott and Charlotte...

Renae said...

I have a double jogging stroller, and I LOVE it! Totally embrace it. You might as well!

Anonymous said...

Noah is so adorable!!! And Josh looks so cute in his new hat!

Mandy said...

Hey Emily love the hat pictures!! You really should take one every day and give it to him when he is older there is nothing cuter!! :) Speaking of jogging I saw you out the other day and thought you go girl!! You looked great!! I wish I could say that! Yah for you! Next time smile at them and give them a little arm!!:)

Michelle said...

you know, i do the same thing. no not jog with a stroller (thank you for thinking that though). I think the things savvy does is so cute, but if cade were to do them, oh i'd be so ticked. tough being the oldest, isn't it? you would know! but hey, you turned out fabulously and don't even flinch inflicting the same behavior on your own child. :) thanks for the blog to brighten my days. hope you can venture outdoors more now!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kris and Q said...

Sorry you guys have been shut in. Jumping off the couch when I was little was the best thing and my kids love to do that sometimes to.

This Idaho Girl said...

Noah sure is looking Gibby-like these days. I hope you paid for that grape. As for the jogging stroller, you get a double workout: cardio and resistance training. Way to go!

Becky said...

If I had a hat that AWESOME I'd want you to keep taking pictures of me too! They're so cute. And I understand way too well about the couch and cushions....