Wednesday, September 5, 2012

josh and noah (Used Their New Schoolin' To Title This Post Themselves)

New start a couple of weeks ago - Gary dug out our huge, out of control snowball bush, and planted a flowering lilac tree on Labor Day. Phew. In other news, it seems that school has started. After I brought Josh to school on the first day, I came home, gave my little kids some puppets to play with, and checked my email. My mom asked about Josh's first day of school. Fresh off the experience, I obliged her with the story. It's charming:


Josh has been pumped, indeed, for first grade. He's been counting down. 
"Only eleven more days!"
"Good job, Josh, you made it to only 3 more days!"

Taking him to buy his lunch box was one of the proudest moments of his life, even if deciding between metal and soft was difficult (sculpted metal muscles for the Avengers or more insulation for food?). He memorized his lunch number as soon as he heard it.

I, however, have been dreading it. I cried on said lunchbox purchase day. Don't make fun of me, I know kids grow up. It's just that his tiny-ness is not coming back, you know, and I need a day or two per year to be sad. So, I planned to do what mom's do. Make him pancakes for breakfast and walk him to his class. I packed his lunch and school supplies last night, and planned for a great day.

First problem, I woke up at 4:30 with horrible cramps. Okay, take the meds, bla bla, couldn't fall back to sleep until around 6:30. During my brief consciousness at 7, I decided an hour of sleep was more important than pancakes. At 8 I walked downstairs, to find a VERY excited Josh. I let him pick out a cereal and told him I would walk him to class. He said, "Why? I can go there myself." Well, I was always walked to class, and even if this is my last year, I wanted to do it for my boy. Plus, I never met the teacher. That's important.

Josh got dressed and was so nice to Noah when he wore almost the same outfit. They stood on the bathroom sink so they could look in the mirror and make up songs about twins. I got myself and Lissy dressed. I also got out two outfit options for Andrew, including Batman superhero underwear, his favorite. At 8:43 (school starts at 9), we were all ready but Andrew. I exhorted him to get ready for the millionth time (he doesn't let me help unless he wants me to), and went to take a first day of school picture of Josh. Couldn't find the camera. Looked everywhere, called Gary in a panic . . . no go. So, at 8:47, I took pictures of Josh with my iPod. Whatever, it will do. Andrew still not dressed.

So, I put everyone in the car and start it - this finally gets Andrew going/screaming to be ready. So, I have to come inside and help him. We finally get in front of the school at 8:55. At that point Josh could have jumped out of the car and been to class himself on time. There were a million people at the school, and I had to pass the school and then some to park, but I thought that since so many people were walking kids in that I'd arrive about the time as other people. I thought the kids would be doing some paper while the teacher talked to parents and kids got settled. I taught school, that's what always happened . . . so I parked. I had given Andrew his slip-on shoes to put on in the car, and I thought he had. I negotiated through the nightmare of crossing the street (the Sheriff had to tell Josh to get out of the road while I got the other kids), and got to the sidewalk, on to find Andrew red and screaming at the top of his lungs that he needed his shoes. Oops, too late. I thought once he got in the school, he would calm down.

Nope. I drug Andrew screaming all the way through the entire school, to the back where Josh's first grade classroom is. We arrived at his class around 9:02. No other parents were there talking to the teacher. All of the kids were seated, and the teacher was up in front of the class. When I opened the door to let Josh in, all the kids turned to look at him. Sorry, Josh, I love you, buddy.

I walked out the back of the school crying. (Let's clarify - Not bawling. A few tears. Then I saw a friend and we chatted and it was okay. Just one of those moments that we all have - not many people would have gone skipping away singing zippity doo dah.)

So, a crazy first moment, but, as I knew we would, we made it past that point, and Josh is loving first grade. He said today, "Mom, I know all the kids want to have Miss Harms. We sing the funnest songs." Noah asked, "Mom, can you sign me up for Miss Harms?" We still haven't gotten into a routine that feels normal with the rest of the kids, but we will. Hooray for happy first graders!


Despite any chaos around him, Josh was cute and excited.

What's this doing here? It was on my iPod with the other pics. I like.

These boys love wearing these shirts at the same time. Josh is pumped for when it's green day at school so  they can both wear the shirts again.
Mr. Noah has become my BIG helper ever since Josh went to school. He loaded my groceries onto the belt, into the car, and into the house. When I taught preschool he said, "What do you need me to do, mom?" and he did it. Today when I mowed the lawn, he walked in front of me, also holding the mower. What a kid.

So, Noah went back to school, as well . . . to our house for the first week, but he'll be rotating. We had fun learning the five senses with Mr. Potato head and a watermelon, and lots of other things. Andrew was also very into it, and I was excited to see he can be a preschooler, too. Sadly, he isn't really, but he thought he was. Yesterday I dropped Noah off at another house for the first time, and Andrew wanted to go SO BAD. He said, "My friends, I need to go with them!" It's okay, though, I took him to the park, and plan to have lots of fun with him and little Lissy-Lou. Happily, Noah had a great time at the other house, and practiced writing R's the entire day. He was pleased with his results.

Noah's first day of preschool - I think he looks dang cute, even with a naked Mr. Potato Head behind him.

Using our sense of touch to explore a watermelon - they made lots of observations. Didn't have time to take pictures the rest of the week, but it's because we were having fun.

2 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

I have to be honest, your fancy new blog format confuses me. Change is hard. Your Josh "first day of school" story reminds me of life at my house. I always have the best of intentions. At least he made it, right? So sad that our babies will be one next month. That, I will definitely cry over. I have so loved Mabel's babyhood. Time, as always, slips right through our fingers. Weren't we just getting ready to perform "Proud to be an American" during the band's halftime show and Tammy Cole hit someone in the nose with her spinning sword. Pretty sure that was yesterday.

Emily S said...

I thought it was yesterday, but Josh was marveling tonight about how old kids are that were born in 1999. He meant babies, I think.