Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Think About Stuff

People with interests other than children have probably already branded me as One Who Only Posts of Children. They do take up most of my physical and mental energy, and I'd rather document their tiny kid doings for the future than a lot of other things because they won't always be tiny kids. However, I do spend a lot of time thinking about Stuff. Here's a random sampler.Politics - There's a lot going on right now, and Gary and I have spent a ton of time analyzing it. (It makes us feel important. :) ) I don't wish to open a bag of worms by sharing any of my conclusions, but I do want to say that all of this thinking led me to have a dream the other night where I was being quizzed on John King's map. I was doing very well, until I had to say whether Indiana went red or blue in the last election. Aaaah, think hard, Em . . . I also want to say that's one thing I really love about Gary. (Bad segue, John King's map has little to do with Gary.) Gary doesn't just label candidates without really knowing facts. He and I try really hard together to be fair and consider various points.


The Issues - You know, the issues. The economy, health care, energy, national security . . . For example, global warming. Like I said, I try to evaluate things fairly, and my personal jury is still out on the human impact on global warming. (Yes, there are literally 12 people in my head arguing over global warming. It's obnoxious.) I've seen scientific evidence on both sides, and I don't want to believe or not believe things for political reasons. In the meantime, I try to be good to the environment, but choose not to return to the agrarian lifestyle of my ancestors. Sound fair? I try to only think a little about the . . .


Yikes! There is a mouse running down my stairs and Gary is not home. Don't remind me that I kept rats as pets in the past, this is scary.


Nice (and true) illustration of how I can only think so long about the issues. This post was going to get light and silly and talk of dancing and frivolity, but now I can't focus. A mouse is about to eat my babies' toes. And my toes, too. Don't worry, I think about stuff other than babies.


Oh, and please don't send me articles on the true or falseness of global warming. It was just an example, and when I have to know I will assemble my team of experts.

6 comments:

Emily S said...

I just re-read my post and realized that my worms come in bags rather than cans. Interesting.

Ash said...

Your Kids are too cute! Who wouldn't want to write about kids as cute as that 24/7? But I get what you're saying. Yeah, Kids do tend to gobble up alot of energy (and memory for that matter. Since I got pregnant with my first kid, My brain hasn't been functioning normally. Have you noticed that? Maybe it's just me, lol!).
My hubby and I also discuss the "issues" with each other, but I only do it with him because other people can get so...what's the word?....touchy about "the issues" and politics and such, ya know what I mean?
By the way, EEEKKKK! A mouse! What did you do about it?! I was on the edge of my seat by the end of your post, lol. Let me know!

sarahflib said...

You can fit a lot more worms in a bag than a can, you know, so you might be on to something.

Coordination Queen said...

I'm glad you think about stuff. I try, but then I get distracted by something that my kids are doing or tearing apart or breaking... or the fence guys who keep knocking on my door asking questions about how we want the fence put in...

Seriously a mouse? I don't know how I'd handle that one. I freak out with the 2 cockroaches we get a year.... ew.

This Idaho Girl said...

I'm hoping your bag is environmentally friendly. I want to discuss politics with you. Maybe we can get together and create a wall-sized electoral map. I think your mom's basement would suffice (as long as all the Hess's have moved out).

Emily S said...

I am definitely making that map with you, Chris, and Jason Cox can wire it to be awesome.