Monday, September 29, 2008

Inside the Head of David Archuleta

When my sister Sarah asked if we would like to accompany her to a corn maze shaped like the upper-half of David Archuleta, we said of course. It turns out, it was more than just a corn maze, it was Cornbelly's, a full-out pumpkin festival! Since you may be new to the world of pumpkin festivals as I was, I'll further explain - there were slides, hayrides, jumping things, haunted things, pumpkins, corn mazes, and other such fall-related gaiety.

Here we are, being greeted by Mr. Cornbelly himself. So welcoming. (Yes, we don't have the best flash, but the Cornbelly's spirit still shines through.)
When we got into the actual corn maze, songs sung by David Archuleta were being played constantly. We made it through in pretty good time due to Josh's toddler-navigation skills (he was really trying to look at his "map") and light-up shoes. Here's everyone (Sarah, Dave, Josh, Gary, and Noah) emerging from the corn.
My favorite comments heard that night:
  • (By my sister Sarah) "They've played a couple of David Archuleta songs while we were waiting for you, and it makes me pretty excited to maze through his face."
  • (By a random college guy on a date) "This is pretty much my dream come true, wandering around aimlessly for hours listening to David Archuleta."
  • (By Josh) "Oh, corn, gweat . . .", "Oh, stairs, gweat . . .", "Oh, jumping, gweat . . ."
  • (By Gary) "Let's try to get into the car before the Cornbelly's song plays again."
Gary wasn't as excited as I to sit in this chair in public, but I love him for it.
Finally, here are our children as farm animals.

As Sarah said, the whole thing made Josh's week . . . maybe mine, too. At any rate, I got my pumpkin festival fix.

12 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

It sounds like Cornbelly's did, indeed, rock! Wish I could maze through David Archuleta's face. Maybe Preston will come up with something next year in a similar fashion. Napoleon Dynamite's face? That would be original. I'm sure people would come from miles around.

Stacey said...

Sometimes I forget what a different place Utah is, but then I read something like your post and realize we may as well be in different countries. That is not a bad thing... I think a David Archuleta head-maze sounds pretty fun! And I'm sure I could learn something about his great musical talent since I couldn't name a single song that he sings, other than "Imagine" where he skips the line about no religion... Go David!

DP said...

I think the Cornbellys song played 47 times before you guys arrived.

sarahflib said...

Your children look good as farm animals, although I've never seen a pig with a binkie before. I should have pulled it out of his mouth for the picture so he would look really genuine. Good times, though!

Ted said...

Perhaps I get the origin of the term "corny" now.

Michelle said...

Oh that sounds like a blast. I didn't think it was for real until I clicked on the link. I was speechless. Sad to have missed out on the fun.

Anna said...

I'm totally jealous. That looks like lots of fun.

This Idaho Girl said...

Wow! Inside the head of Archie!? I'm insainely jealous. What's next? A carving in Y Mountain of Lavell Edwards's face?

EmJay said...

I love Cornbelly's and am looking forward to taking my boys to it too. It doesn't hurt that our little David is one of the main attractions either!

Malauna said...

The corn maze in Boise has got Obama and McCain's heads. Choose left or right and you still could get lost. I don't think they are playing bits of their speeches, though.

Syphus Circus said...

Ha ha ha! The things we do for our kids, only to discover that we're still kids at heart too! I think Uncle Ted & Auntie Allison are in for quite the awakening...

Hannah said...

Though faced with tough contenders, Gary's comment wins my vote of most entertaining comment. Oh, and Em, I just pronounced "bqwtpemk" outloud and you're right, it is humorous.