Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Speaking Tamantaman and the Rabid Mouse on the Loose

To respond to the concern over the mouse, yes, it is still on the loose. Gary set a humane trap, but it did not take the bait. Josh keeps picking the trap up and saying, "Come, mouse. Come eat a food in house." That's not working, either. Soon, we will have to set an inhumane trap, as I heard on the radio that rabies shots are in low supply.

I was reminded yesterday of Tamantama. My sister made the country up when she was 4, and even taught the family a little of the language. One thing I remember is that if you want to say, "Holy cow," you simply say, "Holy cow, jellyfish." That got me thinking. Probably the hardest language possible to learn would be one where all the words are already in your language, they just mean entirely different things. Just think about it . . . your brain would nearly explode learning it. It could also be really awkward for a new learner. Like, what if, "You look horrible in that dress," was how you have to say, "Congratulations on your wedding." Or, in order to say, "I'm starving, let's eat," you have to say, "I just hit a cat." See, it'd be hard to adjust.

When I was in linguistics class I heard of a guy who did a master's degree project where he made up his own language, with a complete guide to grammar and syntax. He then taught it to his children, and they speak it around the house. So, now I'm thinking I might want to get my master's in linguistics after all . . .
Above animal pronounced "giant squid" in Tamantaman.

14 comments:

EmJay said...

Ewwwwwwww!

Ash said...

You're right. The hardest language would be the one that used all the same we words we know, but with different meanings. Though, through motherhood I ahve learned two languages, and am a pretty decent translator. I speak Simon, and Siri, which are completely different languages, you see. Does your little guy have his own language going on?

Coordination Queen said...

You obviously do think about lots of things during the day besides your kids... next thing I know, you'll be posting your own grammar and syntax guides.

Syphus Circus said...

I can't wait for the syntax guide...we could have a SYPHI code and no one would be the wiser.

Anonymous said...

Could you at least give me a little credit??? And, I never said a mouse was pronounced Giant Squid. You forgot to say if you want to say holy cow jellyfish you have to say holy cow. and merrr means Kevin. Oh, and could you give Ducky and Ricky Magene some credit. And all the Bob's???

Emily S said...

I didn't have time to write about the entirety of the kingdom of Tamantama, Kayla, but you are more than welcome to write a guest post. There were limited words in the language, so I had to make up a word for mouse. Feel free to tell me the true word.:)

Hannah said...

Hahahahaha!!!! First of all, Josh's mousetrap comment is way too cute. Second of all...holy cow jellyfish! Kayla, Kayla, Kayla.

sarahflib said...

I forgot about Ricky Magene. Whose boyfriend/husband was he, again? Oh, Ricky Magene. That makes me laugh.

Janiebelle007 said...

Ricky Magene was Kristen's husband. Bob was Kayla's. And they both just sort of came and went as needed. I miss Ricky, too.

Michelle said...

love your post! This one made me bust up lauging. Perhaps I was just thinking about the little pet mouse in your kindergarten class that one year that died (even after you ever so sweetly took him --or her-- to the vet to try and save his life. You never told those kids the truth, did you? :)

Hannah said...

i was thinking about ricky and bob today too. oh ricky...

DP said...

Don't look in the Edgement dumpster.

This Idaho Girl said...

Another illustration of just how crazy those Gibby girls are.

Rachel said...

did you get rid of the mouse? My house is filled with mice! The exterminator even came and they are still EVERYWHERE! Though I do love saying "mouse in the house" and sometimes I think about Gus Gus and don't want to hurt it.