The scene: We are in the car, nowhere near pictures of grandparents, playing "I Spy."
Noah: I spy with my little eye something that moved to Texas.
Me: Grandma and Grandpa?
Noah: Yeah, how did you know?
Josh: Your clues, Noah!
This last week went by pretty fast, but lots has happened. Josh went to the zoo for a school field trip. He was SO excited, he's been counting down for weeks. Today he woke up at 6:45, and got dressed immediately. When he sat down for breakfast, he picked up his spoon and shouted, "Zoo, here I come!" So cute. He said he wanted a lunchable for lunch, but I didn't want to buy the whole family little expensive things, so I said we'd make homemade lunchables. He was happy, since all he wanted was oreos and capri suns anyway. Last night as I was slicing little pieces of ham and cheese, Gary asked, "So is Josh going to be the red-headed step-child with his homemade lunchable?" I protested, but got worried and texted my friend Julie, mom of Josh's best friend Ben. Turns out, she had made Ben a homemade lunchable, too. Hahaha. All of my kids loved eating lunchables today, by the way. Andrew specialized in making them with enormous stacks of ham.
Of course the highlight of last week was seeing Sarah, Dave, and fam. My kids were very excited to play with Madeline, and Lissy was very excited to pull on Violet, and vice versa. After a lovely cafe rio run, and kids were in bed, we stole the chance to play Ticket to Ride and eat treats. Awesome. The next day when they left my kids were begging for them to come back. And I was teary and sad all day. SO sad they will be far away! (Moved to Pennsylvania)
We did a last-minute baby-sitting exchange this weekend. We had kids at our house on Friday night, and had a good time. The 10 year old girl played real-life baby doll with Lissy for an hour, and Lissy was is heaven. She also improved the quality of life of our butterflies by giving them lots of flowers, then helping us release them. Noah didn't want to let them go, and the kids all loved feeding them, but we finally convinced Noah letting them go would be best. After kids were all in bed Gary and I watched Mission Impossible as our Friday take-a-rest thing. We were going to have popcorn, and at the last minute Gary said he wanted caramel corn. Guess what? I did, too, and had been secretly thinking it. That's why we're made for each other. And maybe why we struggle with weight, but it was GOOD.
Saturday I got to see Josh and Noah play soccer for the first time, since I was gone last time they played, and they didn't play last week due to a laser-tag birthday party. They both do such a good job of really getting in there. My favorite is when Josh scores a goal then trots by with a little grin on his face, watching for approval. Josh got 1 goal, and then also kicked it over the goal once. He thought that was way more cool. Noah was TIRED, and was doing a booty-shaking dance when the ball wasn't in play. He really is very soccer-savvy, though.
Since we were all tired, we fell asleep after Noah's game and woke up just before our supposed date . . . uh, oh, can't waste our very once in a while opportunity! We pulled it together somehow, and our friends even watched Lissy, Gary and I both looked hot, and we cranked up Chicago in the car. Aren't we youthful? We ate ate Applebees, lingered over drinks (water), then went to the D.I. Romantic. We scored a couple of good things, including something we snagged specifically for Gary's white elephant at Christmas. It is a "Comfort Harness and Stretchy Stroller" so you can take your ginuea pig or ferret on a walk. It is new (yet old, awesome) and in its package, and loaded with features. It is hilarious. We had a good laugh, but it didn't have a price, so Gary said, "Hey, we found this without a price, can we have it for 25 cents?" The guy took it and appraised it for a very long time before he said "I'll let you have it for 50 cents." I cannot explain to you how hilarious it was to watch the guy seriously appraising the ferret harness. I mean, so many people are looking for those, and this was a nice 80's-patterned one, he couldn't just let us walk away with it for 25 cents! We laughed and laughed over that, and I think there is no way to describe the hilarity. You probably had to be there, but good thing for me, I was.
Okay, glad to read of all of your adventures. One of these days we will all feel awake, but in the meantime, life is pretty good, even while half-asleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment