Monday, May 28, 2012

A Little Family, Some Red Rocks, Add Water . . .

Went to St. George for a little family vacation, busted out the swimwear, didn't even pack pants . . . summer has begun! (We were wearing pants when we left, but still . . .) Gary's brother received his Master's degree from Touro University in Las Vegas on Sunday, so we went down to St. George on Friday night, and stayed through Monday. Friday we got in a little late, partially due to the fact we discovered the old portion of the Fillmore playground. Dangerous metal stuff is awesome. The swings were 12 or 13 feet high, and it was fun (and scary), even for Gary and me. We all had a swing, and it was one of those family times you just want to freeze and keep. 


Saturday we had a relaxing day, Gary and I got to run together, and the kids played (and zoned out) with cousins. In the afternoon we went to Town Square, which is wonderful. It is between the tabernacle and library, and there is a splash fountain thingy and also a little fake stream for kids to play in. It was a lovely day, and the kids loved it. Andrew could have played all day long, though we left after more than two hours. Gary's mom had a birthday party for Josh and Noah, and they were excited for it. Pizza, watermelon, cake, ice cream, balloons, and Avenger action figures. What more could a boy want? Noah says that since Josh has blown out the candles twice, he is now 66. Grandma was sweet and got Andrew a super hero cape, which he LOVES, and didn't feel left out.


We did the university a favor by not taking the kids to the graduation, so Gary just went to Vegas with his parents while I held down the St. George homestead. Gary enjoyed talking with his family, and our kids played unbelievably well all day. Which was awesome, since Gary accidentally took our keys. We did have one little incident after church that morning. We went to a ward where we knew no one, and Josh ran to the car right afterward. Except he ran out the wrong door, and got lost . . . when I found him after a bit, he was crying and talking to a guy in the chapel. (We'd both been in circles.) I asked him if that guy was going to help him find his mom, and he said, "No, actually he was just about to call you." I asked him if the guy offered to call his mom, and he said, "No, I went up to him and asked if he knew where I could find a phone." What a cutie. He was in distress and crying, and had the presence of mind to think up a plan.

When Gary and I came back from our run Lissy was playing scarves and makeup with Aunt Holly.

Noah swimming at Town Square.

Andrew couldn't get enough of this place.


Grandma, Daddy, and Lissy, chatted in the shade.





These two were hilarious, just slithering along the stream together. They did this for a long time, and it made my heart happy to see them play together.





Josh was more into the water-spraying area.

Noah and cousin Ethan.


Michael and Josh loved to go to the center and wait for the water to start spraying. When it did, it was a fun surprise!


Josh and Christian were laying in the sun adorably, so I took a picture . . . and Josh burned his back. Oops!

Much better.


Trying to get an adorable cousin picture, but all were not compliant.

Noah and I had fun with our shadows for a minute.




Grandma decorated a cake for each boy, complete with their favorite color of sprinkles and their names. Look at the anticipation!



On Monday morning Gary's mom took the boys to the neighbor's house to swim in their pool . I arrived and found them like this, eating popsicles and lounging like movie stars.




As I was taking pictures, suddenly one of the rafts capsized. I thought it was Josh at first, and waited for him to come up. Suddenly I realized it was Andrew! Oh, no, I went in with my clothes on to get him, and luckily, he was totally fine. So glad he knows how to hold his breath. The boys had a blast there, and got candy bars and soda, too. We got home late that evening, only other point is to say if you think you should eat at the Garden of Eatin' in Fillmore, you are wrong, you shouldn't. Although the little jam packs provided much nutrition for the boys. Hooray for trips to St. George!

2 comments:

Janiebelle007 said...

I miss Grandma Syphus' kitchen.

Hannah said...

Your kids make me happy. I keep smiling and smiling as I look at these pics. Looks like y'all had a nice time. :)