Happy Mother's Day to most of you! (I am only excluding men from the salutations, don't worry.) What a beautiful day to be alive, and to be a mother. Perfect weather here, reminds me a lot of the day I was 2 days away from being an official mother, and I got tucked in the back of a Pilot to go see my own mother. I remember my mother was nice, the weather was nice, and I got my swollen feet massaged. Anyway, 6 years later (today), my day started out with not having to scrub Andrew's poo out of the carpet. Gary did it, twice. We just keep the steam cleaner in the hall now. Then I read while Gary made me food. Not just any food, really good food. With Rittersport on the side. (You can start singing, "What a Man" now.) At breakfast my eldest presented me with a card he so thoughtfully made. It has hearts on the outside and says, "What I like about my mom is . . . She lets me play Wii every time I go to grandma's house." Thanks, bud, that's special. Then church, of course, which was quite nice, the highlight being the primary singing. Josh was good enough to participate, and I had a good view to watch him sing, "Mother, I Love You," and weep. Definite worth-it moment.
I only had a few hours of sleep on Thursday night, but the good news is, one of my classes is done, hooray! Gotta finish the other one, get finger-printed, and I shall remain a certified woman.
Saturday soccer day was very lovely. Josh really got in there and had some good drives, and Noah was very pumped to play his game. This resulted in him running around the field saying, "Oh, yeah, oh, yeah, oh, yeah." Later that day Gary got on our roof to figure out where a shingle had fallen from, and the kids thought it was hilarious. I, however, had an extremely tense moment when I was supposed to be holding Gary's ladder, but simultaneously had to keep Andrew from climbing out the window. Phew. The kids played so hard that day that when they finally earned their cleaning reward of Star Wars and "cattle corn," (how josh says kettle corn), when I came into the family room with three bowls full, I only found one awake boy to eat it. Made for a nice Saturday night. Gary and I got to cozy down and watch an episode of The Middle. If you have twenty minutes in the next 3 days, get on hulu and watch the "Get Your Business Done" episode of The Middle. You will like it, even if you don't get to hear Gary chuckle.
I hate talking about poo, but it is a big deal around here these days. Sorry, but it's true. Someday I hope to be able to go through a day without saying it. But, Andrew wakes up, rips off his diaper, and poos on his floor most days. Except Friday night, he did it after we put him in bed that night. Yep, getting very, very tired of it. Our pediatrician suggested he has some type of sensory disorder, and after the second time cleaning things up last week, I called for the evaluation appointment. Wish I had done it sooner now. I spent hours on the phone with them and the insurance, but now I'm just looking forward to finding out what will help him. When I made the appointment the lady on the phone was laughing and laughing and said, "Yeah, he'll probably be diagnosed with something sensory." She wasn't laughing at the poo, btw, she was laughing at the room-trashing stories. Maybe when I told her how he climbed to the top of the closet and ate ten to fifteen Viactives.
My meal planning last week took a lot of stress away, just as a follow-up. I did learn, however, that if you mix fresh pineapple with cream cheese, eat immediately, or it will be HORRIBLE. This I learned the hard way, and later learned why on the internet. There's your tip of the week.
Josh and Noah were discussing this week how awesome sleep-overs are, but how they don't get one unless mom has a baby. Noah said, "Mom should have a hundred babies so we can have a hundred sleep-overs!" Josh said, "She would need a lot of hands!" And Noah said, "Yeah, and she would need a lot of nipples!"
So, I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. I did lose the crystal vase my sister brought me from Prague via shattering on the kitchen floor, but life can't be perfect. I didn't have to clean any messes all day, though, that did a lot to diminish the crystal induced dark cloud. So, almost perfect?
2 comments:
Your posts leave me in stitches--I love them! Just the image of a lot of nipples got a good laugh out of me...although after 4 kids my nipples are so big and stretched out that they could probably nurse multiple kids at a time! And sorry about the poop--knock on wood I've NEVER had a kid smear poop. But then I have 3 girls...not sure how your house can still be standing with 3 boys. Charlie is about all we can handle!
Emily, you need to give yourself some credit. You are a wonderful woman and a great mom. please pat yourself on the back.
Post a Comment